Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mine?

Most of the time I speak of “my things”. Check out “my” car, come to “my” house, “my money”, and so on. Today, I was reminded again that these Earthly items are in fact from God. They are His! He has blessed me with “things” some for necessity purposes, others for convenience and some for discretionary enjoyment. Do I truly see my possessions as God’s, given to me to use for awhile for His purpose/service? While I do not consider myself a pack-rat, I have kept many things over my lifetime. Most, never to be used or looked at-at least not very often. It is difficult to let go of certain memorabilia and I’m not advocating that it is wrong to keep some, not at all. Although, I think we must strive diligently to not allow these possessions to control our lives. Like it or not, we live in a material world- Madonna even sang a song about it. However, we do not have to subscribe to this-we live in this world, we are not to live for this world. God calls us to be different. Matthew 6:19-20 tells us not to store up treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal, but store up treasures in Heaven. The key is, FOCUS. It can either be Earthly/self or Heaven/Christ focused. I’ll end with the missionary martyr Jim Elliot's famous words, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Blessings in your pursuit…….TO

No comments:

Post a Comment